Tour de Flex 1.2 Released
We have finally released Tour de Flex 1.2. Below are the highlights:
- New improved skin (thinner chrome)
- Splash screen has been replaced by a quick start screen that we can update frequently with news of new samples, resources, etc.
- Fixed a memory/CPU issue (see previous post)
- Comments are now hosted in the Adobe forums. You can post questions, subscribe to responses, etc.
- Now requires AIR 1.5 (so we can include new AIR 1.5 specific samples and Flash Player 10 specific samples)
- Localization for Japanese – the language reference tabs are now pointing to the Japanese content. More localization is planned in the near future. Localization was actually part of the 1.1 release that we launched in Japan. We did not force an auto-update since most existing users would not benefit.
- The download size is now 35% smaller thanks to RSLs.
- Categories are all tree-based instead of a mix of dropdown and tree (confused a few people)
- Minor improvements to Eclipse plugin
You can download the latest version from http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/tourdeflex. If you already have Tour de Flex, your version will auto-update.
New Web Version!
In addition to a new desktop version, we’ve also launched a new web browser-based version of Tour de Flex. Obviously, it doesn’t include the AIR desktop samples but most of the remaining samples are included. Holly Schinsky did most of the “magic” to make the web version possible. She will be blogging about the experience shortly.
Check it out at http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/tourdeflex/web
The web version supports deep linking so the browser back/forward buttons work as expected. You can even bookmark specific samples!
The primary purpose of the web version is to provide an easier on-ramp for those exploring Flex for the first time. It also provides the ability to view samples from environments that don’t allow applications to be installed.
The SAP Community Network website now points to the web version introducing a whole new crowd to Flex!